Did you like the Sony HX20, this megazoom compact camera stuffed with technology? If so, then, you will probably love the HX50, 2013 update of the Cyber-shot technology showcase. This year, the Sony HX50 adopts a new more powerful zoom featuring a range of 30x receives the Wi-Fi which takes the place of the GPS. But an other version will come out with the GPS instead. Great for travel photography.
It fits in a pocket, yet! … The Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50 has a 30x optical zoom. That is a record. The hX50 gathers in one single pocket camera a wide angle (increased : 25mm on the HX20 vs. 24mm on the HX50) and supertele 720mm, a focal length usually reserved for bridge cameras. The BIONZ processor will have a lot to do to optimize sharpness and correct optical defects inherent to such a powerful lens. The image is stabilized by Sony’s Optical Steady-Shot system which is active on three axes.
This is a backside illuminated Exmor R sensor of 20.4 megapixel which officiates in the Sony HX50. This “backlit” sensor usually produces excellent results in high sensibility although it is only the size of a ladybug. It can be set from ISO 80 to 3200 and the multi-image mode can fetch ISO 12,800. Sony has worked brilliantly again to speed the autofocus up which was already, on the previous generation, pretty fast, to reduce the focusing time to only 0.15 s. The HX50 offers a burst shooting rate of 10 fps.
Goodbye GPS, hello Wi-Fi…. Wi-Fi comes to the HX50 which will have cost the GPS sensor of the HX20V, a function I find so useful on a travel camera, but less requested in 2013 than the sacrosanct Wi-Fi (a variation of the HX50 will be launch in some countries equipped with GPS instead of Wi Fi. Few cameras get both GPS and Wi-Fi. I am only thinking of the Canon EOS 6D). Wi-Fi allows you to control the HX50 remotely via a smartphone or to transfer your photos and videos on the device (tablet or smartphone) via Sony’s PlayMemories 2.2 application as I had enjoyed during the test of the Sony NEX-6 . Thanks to the Wi-Fi, the Cyber-shot DSC-HX50 can wirelessly stream your photos on your TV in the form of a slideshow.
Sony HX50 offers a selection of 9 creative filters available in photo. That is less than some competitors, and offers 4 filters are available in video mode like : toy camera, Pop color, partial color, Soft High Key)
Of course, swipe panorama is here. I love this feature. I use it all the time since I bought a HX5 3 years ago and I have to say that Sony is the brand which makes it the best.
The screen remains the same, convincing, as on the HX20, a 3″/ 921,600 dots.
Finally, the Sony HX50 is equipped with a hot shoe that will accommodate an external flash or an hypothetical electronic viewfinder, but the list of compatible accessories has not been sent to me by Sony when I requested it…. I am expecting them to clarify.
Sony HX50 price and availability
It is early May that the Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX50 will come to the market. It will be sold €420. An other version, the HX50V, will be equipped with GPS instead of Wi-Fi. I don’t have its price though.
Sony HX50 main technical specifications
- Exmor R CMOS 20.4-megapixel Sensor
- Maximum sensibility: ISO 12800 + iA mode, ISO 3200 in auto mode
- 30x optical zoom lens (24-720mm)
- Maximum Aperture: f / 3.5-6.3
- Minimum Focusing Distance: 5cm in wide-angle and 2m in telephoto
- Optical Image Stabilization (3 axes)
- Shutter speed: 4 to 1/1600s
- Manual Ring or exposure compensation
- Autofocus: in 0.15s
- PASM modes
- AccessoryHot shoe
- Video: 1920 x 1080 pixels / 50p/60p / AVCHD V2 / 28Mbps / stereo sound
- Burst mode: 10 fps on 10 consecutive images
- Sweep Panorama 360°
- Creative filters:
- Photo 9 (HDR Painting, Rich-tone Mono, Miniature, Toy Camera, Pop Color, Partial Color, Soft High Key, Watercolor Painting, Illustration Smile detection)
- Video: 4 (Toy Camera, Pop Color, Partial Colour, Soft High Key)
- Shooting Modes (13): Sup Auto, iAuto, Easy, Program Auto, Movie, Panorama, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, Manual Exposure, Scene, Photo Effects, 3D photo, Blur Background
- LCD screen: 3 “/ 921,600 dots / Xtra Fine LCD
- Connectors: MicroUSB, USB 2.0 high-speed, micro HDMI, shoe accessory
- Dimensions (WxHxD): 108.1 mm x 64.3 mm x 38.3 mm
- Weight: 272 g