Fujifilm is refining the concept of “DESLR-like” bridge camera and unveil today the FinePix HS50EXR, a bridge camera featuring an impressive 42x zoom lens which makes a giant leap in seconds between 24 mm and 1000 mm. Fujifilm also equiped the new travel camera with the company’s new “Intelligent” hybrid autofocus system which takes advantage of a dual system : contrast detection and phase detection thanks to the use of photodiode of the sensor. Fujifilm states it can achieve focus in a world record speed, as the the X100S does.
Fujifim FinePixHS50EXR lens : 24-1000mm f/2.8-5.6
The centerpiece of the Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR bridge camera is undoubtedly its Fujinon lens with a focal range of 42x. It is therefore a an extremely versatile lens, perfect for travel photography. Indeed, this lens can switch in an instant from 24 mm wide-angle to telephoto 1000mm. In addition, its Super Macro mode minimum focusing distance ins only 1 cm from the subject. Fujinon optical engineers have incorporated aspherical elements and ED glass lenses in the optical formula of the 42x zoom of the HS50EXR, which also benefits from a genuine optical image stabilization. Its maximum aperture is relatively fast : bright enough at wide-angle (f/2,8) and remains correct at 1000 mm for such a long focal length (f/5.6). Its optical built is composed of 17 elements including 15 receiving a Super EBC coating that reduces flair and ghosting to enhance the contrast of the image.
EXR sensor and new smart and fast AF
The Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR gets a new BSI CMOS sensor of 16 megapixel (1/2,3″). It is again an EXR sensor which modulates its operation depending on the shooting conditions by giving priority to the definition (HR) when ambiant light is sufficient, then to sensitibility when necessary (SN), or to dynamic range (DR) when the scene is very contrasted. This sensor is not the same as the one fitted in its predecessor, the FinePix HS30EXR, because on its surface, it has photodiodes which are dedicated to the autofocus system. The HX50EXR can choose between 2 focusing methods depending on lighting and contrast conditions. The camera will switch from a contrast detection autofocus (as we know on regular compact cameras) to phase detection AF as appreciated on DSLRs when the light is good enough. With this new technology, Fujifilm is pretty proud to announced record high focusing speed figures : the FinePix HS50EXR could focus in just 0.05 second, a third of the 0,16 seconds it took its predecessor. To check on the screen or in the viewfinder that your subject is in focus, the camera can display sharp areas as peaking.
This performance is also to put on the credit of the new EXR Processor II which allows the FinePix HS50EXR to start in half a second, to reduce the interval between two photos also to half a second only, and to reach 11 fps in burst mode, but only for 5 consectunous images at 16MP. To shoot in burst mode without interruption, you would have to lower the definitin to 8MP and the speed to a still generous 5.5 fps.
EXR Auto mode
For fully automatic operation, the Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR has an intelligent scene detection mode, the EXR Auto mode. It analyzes the conditions and the type of subject to choose the optimal camera settings according to a database of 108 different scene modes. In addition to this, the camera still offers the usual EXR system : high resolution priority, sensitivity priority, dynamic range priority.
The Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR has both an electronic viewfinder with a rather interesting definition of 920,000 points, yet it would not compete with the beautiful 2.36 MP OLED viewfinders of high-end cameras like the Sony NEX-6 or the Fujifilm E-X1. Its 3″ screen is articulated and also has a definition of 920.000 dots. The Fuji HS50EXR user interface has tons of control rings and dedicated buttons for operations that will meet the needs of serious amateur photographers.
Film simulation and creative options
In addition to the Film Simulation modes to help you find the look of your favorite films like Velvia, Provia or Astia , or to discover them if you are a “digital native” photographer, the Fujifilm HS50EXR offers an interesting panel of creative filters:
- Pop Color – Emphasizes contrast and color saturation.
- Toy Camera – Create shaded borders as if You Were taking a photo on a toy camera.
- Miniature – Adds top and bottom blur for a diorama or miniature effect.
- Dynamic Tone – Create a fantasy effect by Dynamically-modulated tonal reproduction
- Partial Color – Retain original one selected color and change the rest of the picture to black and white. Colors can be selected from red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple for dramatic effect.
- High Key – Enhance brightness and contrast to Reduce lighten tonal reproduction.
- Low Key (NEW) Create Uniformly dark tones &S211; with FEW Emphasized Areas of highlights.
- Soft Focus (NEW) – blurring the focus of the picture edges to create a softer effect
In addition to these creative filters, the camera offers the ability to shoot multiexposure mode. In this mode, you take 2 pictures and the camera blends them together. This can be fun and creative.
The Fujifilm HS50EXR can record movies in Full HD and 60p, as well as connect an external microphone to dramatically improve the sound. Slow motion fanatics will appreciate the opportunity offered to film up to the rate of 480 frames per second. In this mode, the definition will be naturally reduced to a thumbnail size of 320 by 240 pixels.
Fujifilm FinePix HS50EXR main technical specifications
- FUJINON 42x optical manual zoom (f/2.8-5.6 24-1000mm*2) with Optical Image Stabilisation, and up to 84x with Intelligent Digital Zoom
- 16 million pixels ½-inch EXR-CMOS II sensor with Phase Detection AF plus EXR Processor II ;
- Intelligent Hybrid AF : 0.05sec, world’s fastest *1
- Continuous shooting: 11fps at full resolution (MAX.5frames), 5.5fps at 8M for seamless capture.
- Start-up time of 0.5 sec.*3
- Shooting interval of 0.5sec.
- 108 EXR Auto shooting patterns
- Full HD movie 1080P/60fps with continuous phase detection AF and stereo sound
- 3.0-inch Vari-Angle LCD screen(920K-dot)
- High resolution EVF(920K-dot) with eye sensor
- Q button for direct control of settings
- Super Macro : 1cm
- Manual exposure control(P/S/A/M modes)
- Focus Peak Highlight function on the LCD screen
- RAW shooting (RAW, JPEG, RAW+JPEG image capture modes)
- Shooting functions; 8Advanced Filters, Film simulation, Multiple exposure, image capture aspect ratio of 1:1 (square) in addition to 4:3, 16:9, and 3:2, and more
- Virtual horizon “electronic level” display
- External microphone input (microphones sold separately)
- Hotshoe attachment for the use of external flash guns
- Lithium Ion battery with up to 500 shots per charge