Sony finally unveil today a very well thought out mirrorless camera that synthesizes the needs of the prosumer photographers and real amateur photographers by providing an user interface less convoluted than the NEX-7 with high-end features and ergonomic : swivel high definition touchscreen, a gorgeous OLED EVF, 1080p (50fps) video recording, Sony’s only Superior Auto Mode, and the Wi-Fi as a bonus. Please welcome the Sony NEX-6, introduced today along with finally a decent compact kit lens, the SEL1650.
Sony NEX-6 : main assets
- The NEX-6 gets the 16-megapixel APS-C CMOS Exmor sensor, a sensor that is quite well known and which astonishes by its huge dynamic range and low-light image quality. The NEX-6 evolves between ISO 100 and ISO 25,600.
- The NEX-6 receives the Wi-Fi as the NEX-5R announced a few days ago. It can communicate with a smartphone, a tablet, a computer, a public hotspot, etc.. to share photos and videos via email, social networks, etc.. but also download applications through the cloud service PlayMemories App store, to customize the camera adding new modes, new effects, and so on.
- he NEX-6 is equipped with a built-in flash (Alleluhia!). Guide number = 6.
- The burst rate is 10 fps. Impressive.
- It gets the nice and well defined OLED viewfinder (2.36 million dots) as previously seen on the NEX-7, SLT-A99 and Fuji X-E1.
- UI gains the tiltable 3″ / 921,600 dots screen
- The NEX-6 dial wheel makes it easy to use th ecamera in PSAM modes
- It has the Superior Auto mode which uses multi-image capture for different things, often efficient : HDR, backlight, bokeh, handheld nighshot.
- A premium video mode : 1080p 50p video recorded in AVCHD for a quality level of 28 Mbps and continuous autofocus, stereo sound with the built-in microphone.
- Measurements of the NEX-6: 119.9 x 66.9 x 42.6 mm / 287 grams without battery and memory card.
- Price and availability of the Sony NEX-6
Sony NEX-6 : price and availability, new Sony E mount lenses
The NEX-6 will be available in November 2012 at a selling price of €949 in kit with the new SEL1650 lens. This new 16-50mm kit lens is much more attractive than the poor 18-55mm that usually comes with the Sony mirrorless camera kits. The E PZ 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 OSS zoom lens is the first really compact lens in Sony NEX lenses thanks to a telescopic mechanism that reminds me of the Panasonic G X Vario 14-42mm Power Zoom, but without the powerzoom which I think is better. On a NEX camera, it becomes an equivalent 24-75mm, more generous in wide-angle than many of its competitors.
Moreover, Sony expand the lens range in E mount with the release of a 10-18mm, the SEL1018.AE with a constant aperture of f/4, which begins at a 15mm equivalent. The third lens announced today by Sony is the SEL35F18, a pancake 50mm equivalent, pretty fast : f/1.8.