Yep, the Olympus TG-1 iHS should be the best waterproof camera of th eyear. To achieve that, Olympus has packed a full bundle of the best technologies in a waterproof camera casing that remains compact and should ensure the highest image quality of all waterproof cameras… (till we see a mirrorless waterproof camera announced). It is quite tough (TOUGH is the old name of Olympus underwater cameras range, now contracted to give “TG”) and will dive as deep as 40ft / 12m, will resist a 6.6ft / 2m high fall equivalent shock and still work under freezing temperatures. This high-end waterproof digital camera will differ from competition thanks to its higher-than-usual technical specs. Here they are in a few bullet points :
- Baside Illuminated CMOs sensor of 12-megapixel
- TruePic VI image processor
- ISO 100-6400
- 4x fast zoom lens : 25-100mm f/2.0-4.9 with supermacro mode at 1cm away from the subject.
- FAST AF focusing engine appeared on Olympus Pen mirorless cameras (that really is fast, indeed)
- 1080p movie recording with active stabilization mode for steadier image when walking while filming.
- OLED technology display : 3″ / 610,000 dots
- GPS sensor with compass
- Optional fisheye and tele converters
- HDMI-CEC output + audio/video USB 2.0 port that can load battery
To put it in a nutshell, Olympus must have unveiled the best underwater rugged digital camera of the year with the TG-1 iHS. The counterpart of this expected to be high performance is the price of this waterproof camera : the Olympus TG-1 iHS will be available in June for $399, £359, euro 449.